Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chapter 4: Elizabeth

After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion.  "The Lord has done this for me," she said. "In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people." 


Elizabeth,  your husband seems to think that your experience 
in faith was significantly different  than your his.  
Did you find patience to be a path to building your faith?


My patience was a fact of life.  I had no choice but to be patient.  What I discovered was that faith generally comes only after significant humiliation.


How in the world does humiliation build faith?


I had no lack of advice or condemnation about how I should live my life and what I was doing wrong.  The only thing I had to hold onto was the knowledge that, for the most part, I lived my life honoring God.  That he had not chosen to honor me, for the most part, was not an issue.


You live a good life and get nothing for it?  
That hardly seems fair.


Fair? What is fair?  Many people are disappointed by what life hands them, but few realize that what God had in mind originally is not what he gets from us.  I suppose that’s what you get when you turn the course of destiny over to a lot of free-willed individuals who don’t recognize God’s sovereignty.  


Point taken.


Likewise what we ask of God generally is not what he ends up giving us, even if the end result is what we want.   So God has honored me with this child, even if it wasn’t when or how that I wanted it.  You call that faith.  I call it realism


So you’re saying that real faith is enjoying the outcome, no matter how the trip differs from the plan.


Works for me.


No comments: