Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chapter 1 - Simeon




Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.   It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ.


You can find all kinds of people in this town: beggars and thieves, clergy and pilgrims, businessmen and buyers.  But we need to find one of the rarer denizens of this place -- those who seek the face of God.  Over there, by the well, is such a man.  Sir!  May we have a word with you?


Only a word?  I would welcome more than one.  Few people actually seek out my company.  Please, sit here with me and let us talk.  I understand you seek the essence of faith.


Well... yes.  How did you know?


I’m not exactly sure about the how ... of anything.  I just hear His voice.  Is it not enough?


That’s what we came to ask.  Is that enough for you?


Oh, yes!  For me it is all I need.  I am not a great or wise man.  Or even one of any real responsibility.  Those kind of people do not have time to merely sit and listen to God.  They have so much to do and so many people to direct.  I have no need to find reason or portent for the comings and goings of humanity.  I am just old.  I have seen much and am rarely surprised by anything man would do.  There is only one thing I must see.  One thing I have been promised...


...and that would be?


THE promise!  The hope of Israel.  For some divine reason, I may not go to Abraham’s bosom until I have seen the Messiah, Son of God.  That I should be allowed that glory is too much for me to fathom, but the Lord sees it as necessary to the fulfillment of his purpose.


And this is the basis of your great faith.


Great?  You call my faith great?  You are most generous.  I am just an old man who has no more options but to believe God.  That, my friend, is faith:  to see God as your only option.

No comments: