Sunday, September 13, 2009

When is enthusiasm important

Lat night I went to a college football game - San Jose State vs. Utah - and watched my Spartans lose to a superior team. They kept it close and entertaining, which is more than anyone expected. Since we were sitting high up in the stadium I also had a chance to watch the human comedy of the crowd and I was able to make some observations.
About a third of the crowd were Utah fans who had traveled all the way from Ogden for the game. They were intensely into the game, watching carefully, cheering appropriately, but entirely respectful. These were people who were into their team, knew what the game was about and made sacrifices and effort to support the team. Like the Utah supporters, there were many SJS fans that were into to the game, cheered as directed by the cheerleaders, and spoke knowledgeably about the game. Both groups went for long periods when they were absolutely quiet as the watched the game unfold.
Then there were the other fans.
These were the fans that walked in to the stadium partially inebriated and got more so as the game went on. They were very loud and stayed that way for most of the game. Yelling, screaming, jumping up and down, mostly for no good reason. A group of young women just to my right actually tumble several rows down the stadium seats from their antics. Many of these fans were so into their enthusiasm that they missed several important plays. In short, they were having a great time. I had fun watching them and their enthusiasm made the losing effort a bit more bearable.
There is nothing wrong with getting giddy at a sporting event. After all it is just entertainment.
Then I went to church this morning.
We have a bunch of football fans in our church, so there is lots of talk about football, but there was also the annual statement that comes at the beginning of the season. It goes like this:
"All over the country there are people yelling and screaming and getting excited about a group of rich men playing a game. We should be able to get just as excited about worshipping God."
That sounds really good, but only on the surface.
My experience last night, and my experience at every entertainment event (sports, music, political rallies) the people that are the most enthusiastic have very little understanding what is going on at the event. Those that do understand take in what is being offered, they consider it, they respond vociferously when appropriate and as directed. On those rare occasions with the entire audience/crowd are operating in sync it is a special time.
I think that is what we really should look for in church. When I am worshipping God, I enjoy it immensely, but it is also very important to me. I want to know what is going on and respond accordingly. I want to be like those Utah and San Jose fans that are into what is happening on the field and not just making noise and a spectacle of myself because I want to let off steam. I don't mind if any others want to be silly. That's fine. I just think there are moments where it is too important not to pay attention.

No comments: