Friday, September 18, 2009

The "christian nation" hoax

I'm about to make a lot of people unhappy.
I was reading a post of a pastor in Miami this morning who made the common assertion that this is a "Christian Nation" historically. He used, as proof, certain quotes from John Adams who he asserts was a serious Christian. That's what got me curious.
I believe the definition of Christian is those who publicly asserts that Jesus Christ is a personal saviour: that he is God incarnate, that he was born in human form, was fully God and fully human, died for sin and rose from the grave in three days. Let me also state that I believe in the doctrine of the Trinity and believe it is crucial, though you won't go to hell if you don't believe that. That is an orthodox belief for most Christians in the United States. John Adams is pretty much my favorite president so I know a few things about him. I know for a fact John Adams doesn't meet that definition of Christian. The first six Presidents of the United States did not meet that criteria. They all denied the deity of Christ (without which there was no sacrifice for sin) and the Trinity. George Washington, Adams' son John Quincy, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe were all deists. Five of the six attended Episcopal churches that welcomed that particular position and Adams, himself, was a Unitarian. The first US President to make a public declaration of Christ as saviour was Andrew Jackson, followed by his successor, Martin Van Buren.
In all of the 43 men who have held the office, only 22 have made such a declaration. Ten presidents made outright statements that they were deists. The rest, including Lincoln, FDR, Gerald Ford and George HW Bush never made a definitive statement. Oh, yes, President Obama has outright said on several occasions that he has "a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."
To say outright that Christian principals are the basis of our country is incorrect. That Christian principles have greatly influenced the development of our country is correct, but at the same time, philosophies that deny the deity of Christ have also had a profound effect throughout the entire history of this country.
I'm saying this because I have something else to share pretty soon, but I just wanted to take the "Christian Nation" argument off the table. The US is not a Christian nation.

3 comments:

Loring Wirbel said...

This is self-evident, and something we interpretive Christians have to repeat ad-infinitum to the evangelicals dominating Colorado Springs. They always have tar and feathers at the ready.

M. Chris Leese said...

I agree Lou its not a Christian nation never has been. Its a nation that allows for the freedom of religon and I think that the freedom we have to worship and share our faith is rapidly disappearing especailly for Christians.

Unknown said...

Hey Lou
That was me that posted not my wife I did not have a gmail account so I just created one
al